Sunday, June 23, 2013

i'm on my way

I've been pretty good thus far on my clean eating journey. I've cheated once for a small bowl of strawberry ice cream with whipped cream. Nobody's perfect. 

My mornings have consisted of smoothies concocted with some combination of the following ingredients: bananas, greek yogurt, fresh strawberries, fresh peaches, almond/coconut milk, chia seeds, and protein powder. They have been delicious and filling enough to last me until lunch which usually consists of a spinach/arugula salad with various fruits and nuts mixed in with a small amount of balsamic vinegar. I've been feeling pretty good the past few days and I think getting rid of all that processed food is helping. I am craving some nachos, however. 

The other night I made a very delicious taco salad. Here is what I did:
EVOO and ground turkey seasoned with salt, pepper, and my favorite hot sauce (Cholula), black beans, and corn over a bed of baby spinach and baby arugula. I added a little bit of salsa on top for a bit more spice. It was so good I didn't even miss the crunch of tortilla chips.

Eating more healthily is definitely more time consuming and more expensive, but the benefits far outweigh the cons. Cooking my own food is not only teaching me how to prepare healthier meals, but it's helping me become more creative in the kitchen. I have so many ideas floating around in my head and when in doubt, Pinterest has the best recipes!

I encourage anyone to switch out a couple fast food meals for home cooked and see if it makes a difference in your life, too. It's not as quick and convenient but it's much better for you and makes, at least me, feel very accomplished. 

Keep on keeping on.

No comments:

Post a Comment